Live Support

Forums » Military

Pin Ups - What kept our Troops going!

• 181 posts
    February 1, 2016 5:39 PM EST

I wasn't sure if I should add this to the military section, but really "pin-ups" were such a big part of any troops tour, that I thought the topic was okay here.

Did your Dad or husband or grandparent have pin up's in their bunk? Some even had pin up's painted on planes!

• 181 posts
    February 1, 2016 5:41 PM EST

Great website about Pin Up's

quote from site...

The origin of the Hollywood "sex goddess" can be traced back in many respects to the great pinups of the war years, which culminated in its ultimate visualization in the post-war (1946) film Gilda, starring none other than wartime bombshell Rita Hayworth. Gilda has been called "superlative trash," but for all its artistic shortcomings it is the film that made Rita Hayworth a superstar before the word superstar was popularized. At the time she was one of the most popular — possibly THE most popular — of the World War II pinup queens. (Even a test version of the atomic bomb was named Rita and had a picture of her emblazoned on it.) It is not surprising that Gilda was written from the beginning as a "sex goddess" exploitation film — specifically for Miss Hayworth. Shooting started on the film even before the male star had been selected! After the war, thousands of returning servicemen took their wives and girlfriends to see the film, no doubt remembering her stunning images from countless barracks walls. The success of this fantasy and of the Gilda character itself was revealed in probably the most famous quote from the film:

"Every man I've known has fallen in love with Gilda and wakened with me ... "

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at February 1, 2016 5:41 PM EST