Live Support

Forums » Glass

Vintage / Antique Glass Candleholder id

• 30 posts
    March 14, 2016 12:00 PM EDT

I came across a set of four vintage / antique low candle holders that have sweet painted roses on the base, and what I think may be a silver or silverplate trim / overlay. . I've not seen anything like this before, and cant seem to find anything online like them, have tried many different descriptions to research with....Anyone seen these or have any information on them that would be ?? Thanks!

• 181 posts
    March 15, 2016 10:59 PM EDT

Can't wait to see what info others can come up with, they are stunning!

• 30 posts
    March 17, 2016 11:13 AM EDT

Im not sure whether to try lightly....very lightly......polishing the silver edges...

• 181 posts
    March 17, 2016 3:04 PM EDT

I personally would not touch them. :)

Whatever it is, the patina is what I would say makes it desirable.

• 181 posts
    March 17, 2016 3:06 PM EDT

Is it possible that this was a sort of art project?  Is it possible that someone took a plain set of candle holders and dressed them up on their own? If so, this would be a great folk art type of item.

• 61 posts
    March 20, 2016 1:58 PM EDT

Is the pattern shown on the silver / gray part the glass pattern or the painted pattern?  Looks like it is the glass pattern.  If it is, I would look through some glass books to see if you can pin down the mfg of the glass. 

• 30 posts
    March 22, 2016 12:01 PM EDT

The edge under the silver does seem to have a pattern, and I can feel a bit of texture there. Not sure if it is in the application of the silver or in the glass though. I do believe the roses were painted on after. I have since posting this, come across a green pair that have the silver overlay along the edge with a similar pattern. Silver part in much better condition though.  I think that is probably the way they came originally. Still have no idea as to maker though.

This post was edited by Gizmos Vintage at March 22, 2016 12:04 PM EDT
    • 30 posts
    March 22, 2016 12:12 PM EDT

Hmmmm seems to be a great article here, so when I get a chance later today, will give it a read through...

http://www.cambridgeglass.org/articles/0508/07crystalball409a.php