Live Support

Forums » Textiles

Forgotten Art Form

• 30 posts
    April 19, 2016 10:48 AM EDT

Gone are the days of beautifully hand embroidered linens for your home. Today, there are cheap knockoffs to purchase.....

Such an art form, and such talent to the women of yesteryear. I have always admired the handiwork by the women of those days. I have many pieces of vintage embroidered items including some handbags. The sad part is that the work that went into these pieces is undervalued today. I understand that for the most part, home decor doesnt use this type of decorating, but, still there should be some value. The hours of work that went into them should be worth something.

Sometimes pieces I collect are unusable because of holes or stains, but I have been ( and need to get back to it) using them to make totes and handbags, to give them new life.

• 30 posts
    April 22, 2016 2:30 PM EDT

• May 2, 2016 12:28 PM EDT

These are fabulous. 

I have tons of vintage textiles and cannot bear to list them. 

I also think of the hours and hours it took to make them. 

---------------

Sometimes pieces I collect are unusable because of holes or stains, but I have been ( and need to get back to it) using them to make totes and handbags, to give them new life.

----------------

Bravo to you. Very, very well done. 

• 30 posts
    May 14, 2016 12:28 PM EDT

Thank you, I need to get back to it. This move and the push to get rid of all our collected stuff, has completely side tracked me.....lol

• June 17, 2016 5:32 PM EDT

Congratulations!

Your bags are wonderful! Such an intelligent way to upcycle those treasures...

• 30 posts
    June 18, 2016 4:40 PM EDT

Thanks!, Just posted a "new" upcycled vintage tablecloth patchwork bag. Next have to finish an April Cornell I started....

• August 23, 2016 5:15 PM EDT

Love to see old textiles get new life!  Applause to you!!