Live Support

Forums » Clothing

Vintage Clothing Whats In a Name?

• June 13, 2016 9:00 AM EDT

I love the History of all vintage.

I really love not only finding vintage clothing but researching the label names of the designers. 

Lilli Ann, Oscar De La Renta, Swirl are of course ones familiar to most people. 

I get just as much collector excitement when I run across one I do not know and have to dig for information. 

I currently have a dress with label Coquette. 

What a fun name. 

Some it took a while to find information but very interesting when I did. 

Like Lydia De Roma name. Seems a sought after designer seamstress that did trunk shows. 

Lila Bath has a museum and school. I found that very fun to discover. 

Adele Simpson was my fave history digging though. 

Her husband created beautiful fabrics for her line. 

I pick up things I love and hope others love to not be lost to time. 

I started years ago with a hat and am still searching for that name. 

• 61 posts
    June 13, 2016 9:32 AM EDT

Fantastic picture of the Merry Widow hat - too funny.  I also love vintage clothing and dress patterns.  My grandmother was a dressmaker / seamstress and taught me how to sew when I was pretty young.  Always loved touching all the fabrics when shopping with her.  Love looking at old fashion magazines.

• 181 posts
    June 13, 2016 3:22 PM EDT

Love this thread! I am sharing this on social medai!!!!

• August 18, 2016 11:52 AM EDT

can you just imagine if you owned THAT hat!!!  Great pic!

Still would love to find one of Bloomer's dresses!!

• 181 posts
    August 18, 2016 1:39 PM EDT

Love that image of Bloomers Barb

Some info on the history... Wikipedia

Fashion bloomers (skirted)

Also called the "Turkish dress", "American dress", or simply "reform dress", bloomers were an innovation of readers of the Water-Cure Journal, a popular health periodical that in October 1849 began urging women to develop a style of dress that was not so harmful to their health as the current fashion. It also represented an unrestricted movement, unprecedented by previous women's fashions, that allowed for greater freedom—both metaphorical and physical—within the public sphere. The fashionable dress of that time consisted of a skirt that dragged several inches on the floor, worn over layers of starched petticoats stiffened with straw or horsehair sewn into the hems. In addition to the heavy skirts, prevailing fashion called for a "long waist" effect, achieved with a whale-bone-fitted corset that pushed the wearer's internal organs out of their normal place. The result was a feminine population which, as one medical professor warned his students, was of no use as cadavers from which to study human anatomy.

Women responded with a variety of costumes, many inspired by the pantaloons of Turkey, and all including some form of pants. By the summer of 1850, various versions of a short skirt and trousers, or "Turkish dress", were being worn by readers of the Water-Cure Journal as well as women patients at the nation's health resorts. After wearing the style in private, some began wearing it in public. In the winter and spring of 1851, newspapers across the country carried startled sightings of the dresses.

Bloomer craze of 1851

In a reversal of genders, a "bloomer" asks her fiancé's shocked father for consent to marry his son: satirical cartoon from 1852

In February 1851, Elizabeth Smith Miller of Peterboro, New York wore the "Turkish dress" to Seneca Falls, New York, home of Amelia Bloomer and her temperance journal, The Lily. The next month Bloomer announced to her readers that she had adopted the dress and, in response to many inquiries, printed a description of her dress and instructions on how to make it. By June many newspapers had dubbed it the "Bloomer dress".

• 61 posts
    August 19, 2016 6:01 PM EDT

Lora, that is a cool bloomer dress - love the fitted double breasted top and puffy sleeves  

• August 20, 2016 3:17 PM EDT

I'd love to think that I would have been one of your ladies...... you know - the upper class ones who could afford such landish clothing!!! ;)

And honestly, I love that biking outfit!! Very chicy

• August 22, 2016 10:28 AM EDT

Now I want to go biking. 

For the record I started at 9 years old collecting postcards and still do. 

Pretty picky at this point but this Merry Widow Hat is a series. 

I just found 2 more of them. 

When I get them in the mail I will post them here. 

There truly is no rhyme or reason why one collects what they do. 

They just do. It makes me happy. 

Sandy 

• August 24, 2016 2:01 PM EDT

My ALL TIME favorite political fashion postcard!!

• September 1, 2016 7:06 PM EDT

• 181 posts
    September 2, 2016 1:58 AM EDT

I just did a thread on the Merry Widow Hat! Thanks for the idea!