Live Support

Forums » Jewelry

Victorian Wedding Bangles!

• 61 posts
    August 1, 2015 12:01 PM EDT

posted by boylerph  2-9-2009

There is nothing like the simplicity of a gold or gold filled bangle bracelet. A bangle bracelet is as popular today as it was over 100 years ago although back in the day, bangles had a special meaning.During the Victorian days, bangle bracelets were given in pairs and were called wedding bangles. One for the bride and one for the groom. They were very ornate with the engraving and many displayed what is referred to as taille d'epargne, a black enamel accent. Ivy vines were a common theme and symbolic of friendship, fidelity and love. A flower was often a focal point with the bluebells for constancy and the lilac for feelings of love.Just another thing to think about when you don your bangles!!

• 30 posts
    February 3, 2016 2:09 PM EST

Wow, I did not know this. Learn something new everyday!

• 181 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:47 PM EST

I found this great board on Pinterest of Victorian Wedding bracelets!

I love these...

• 181 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:52 PM EST

Another informational link from Facets of History

http://www.facetsofhistory.com/node/319

snippet from website

The tradition of Wedding or Bridal Bracelets is that the parents of the bride gave a set of bangle bracelets to their daughter before her wedding and the bride would wear them at her wedding and throughout life and when the time was right she give one bracelet to her daughter and the next bracelet to the next daughter in the birth order (or to the son’s wife it the second child is a son.) So the bracelets usually did not stay together.

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at February 3, 2016 5:53 PM EST