Live Support

Forums » Kitchen

Antique & Retro Toasters

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:50 PM EDT

Ah the humble piece of toast! Such a simple thing, yet the gadgets we create to turn that soft slice of bread into toasty goodness can be out of this world!

Here are some extrodinary toasters! Share images and info to our thread if you like.

Snipped

About 6,000 years ago, ancient Egyptians developed breads as we know them today. They discovered that if they let their bread dough sit out in Egypt's nice, warm climate, it would puff up, and if they baked this dough in an enclosed oven it would retain its fluffiness. This seemingly magical process was not fully understood until the 17th Century when the microscope revealed the yeast cells that cause leavening.

The process of scorching bread to preserve it spread through many cultures. The word toast comes from the Latin Torrere, Tostum - to scorch or burn. The Romans, in their conquests, took their love of toasted bread with them and spread the custom farther, even up into Britain. Later, English colonists brought the tradition to the Americas.

Toasting bread does more than just preserve it, of course, it changes its nature; bread becomes sweeter, crunchier and the perfect surface on which to spread all sorts of things.

Full Article here from the Cyber Toast Museum

http://www.toaster.org/museum.html

Save

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at August 10, 2016 7:37 PM EDT
    • 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:52 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:53 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:54 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:55 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:56 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:57 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:58 PM EDT

not sure this one is vintage, the tag said it was, but if it isn't, it's very vintage looking... lol :)

Save

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at August 10, 2016 9:59 PM EDT
    • 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:59 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 4:00 PM EDT

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 4:03 PM EDT

Stove Top Pyramid Toaster

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 10:03 PM EDT

Nice little site called toaster.org

What is my toaster worth?

Our main purpose here at the Toaster Museum Foundation is to provide historical information and we are not certified nor licensed appraisers. Prices for all antiques and collectibles fluctuate greatly, and the most accurate statement you can make about the value of some old thing is that it is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay.

Because most toasters were produced in the tens - if not hundreds - of thousands, they are not incredibly valuable (which is why we were able to get into collecting them); but their value will increase as they grow older and as more people become interested in collecting them. There are a number of models that are fetching high prices, especially ones that have ceramic bases or are made entirely (well, not the mechanics) of porcelain.

Of course, the condition of the toaster contributes to its value. An unused model with its original cord, in its original box, would have the most worth to a collector.

• 182 posts
    August 10, 2016 10:04 PM EDT

I think this is my favorite toaster so far, I love the art deco look

• 62 posts
    August 11, 2016 9:37 AM EDT

Really some cool toasters.  I remember the flip side toasters (shown below) as this is what we used growing up.  When the pop-up toasters came out, we sure made a lot of toast just to watch it pop up - lol

This post was edited by CAROLINABLUELADY - ADMIN at August 11, 2016 9:38 AM EDT