Live Support

Forums » Etc.,

Come Say Hello!

• 187 posts
    August 19, 2016 1:51 PM EDT

Use this thread to introduce yourself and tell folks a little about your interest in AVC (antiques, vintage & collectibles)

You can add a link to your shop(s) but no promoting of items, we just want to get to know you as a member of our community. Have fun!!!

• 187 posts
    August 19, 2016 5:01 PM EDT

Guess I should start!!!! :)

I am born and raised Philly girl. Had many jobs over the years. I started selling vintage around 2008 when I was given the task of closing up the home of a relative who had just turned 100. It took me 1 & 1/2 years to go through her home and give things to family, friends and neighbors. Then there were a few auction houses and finally a few truck loads of trash removal.

I was selling what I saved from the house on Etsy. At one point, Etsy was asking vintage sellers to leave the venue. Long story. Obviously that never happened, but only via tons of protest.

When we all thought we would have to leave, I decided to start a social group for folks who were into vintage, both buyers and sellers. At that time, there really wasn't any major social media marketing. People were just starting to realize what you had to do to get your items seen with so many people entering the market place.

We went from about 60 Etsy members and grew to almost 4k members with people from around the globe joining us either to buy or sell or just explore the world of vintage. We quickly saw that by listing items for sale via our village, we were increasing our views and sales.

In 2015, the company we used to create our community got sold and we thought we would lose everything because there was no promise of saving the community. Long story short, I had to go out on my own and create my OWN website. With a ton of help from many people, we are starting over, trying to get our name out there again.

I LOVE vintage. I LOVE community. This website combinds both my passions. My hope is to connect people who love vintage... in as many ways as I can. This site is about us all working as one to promote vintage.

Lets hear your stories about how you got into vintage and tell us anything else you like about yourself!

• 70 posts
    August 19, 2016 5:53 PM EDT

I was born and raised in Indiana, but moved to North Carolina because of a job transfer in 1999 - love living in the south and North Carolina is a beautiful state.  After losing my bill-paying job in 2007, I started selling vintage collectibles that I had collected over the years on eBay.  I really enjoyed meeting other collectors and sellers online, the research, the presentation and design and running my own business.  I just love everything about being an online seller.  

My mother passed away in 2008 and it took my brother, sister and I 3 1/2 years to go through her house.  She collected everything, loved going to auctions after she retired and belonged to every book club.  So, while not all, a lot of my inventory comes from her estate and I still have boxes of 'stuff' I haven't listed yet.  

By 2009, I decided that I really wanted more control over my online selling and started using other platforms - eCrater and Auctiva Commerce.  With that, I joined several online selling / social groups and have made many friends over the past 9 years.  I don't remember when I joined The Vintage Village but it has been a long time.  It seemed like The Vintage Village was always my home base - there is just a comfortable atmosphere here.