Live Support

Forums » General Information About TVV

SSL - On-line Security

• 191 posts
    March 30, 2017 9:17 PM EDT

Hello All.

As of March 2017, because of new security measures over the entire internet, when you went to sign up or sign into your account, everyone was getting a security warning about the site not being safe (unencrypted) so that hackers could potentially hack into your account here.

I went to our web server and was issued a SSL certificate. Every page now has the GoDaddy seal on the footer section. Our site is now encrypted, meaning that if someone tries to hack us, all they will see basically... is jibberish.

The only issue remaining is that you will now see a yellow warning "mixed content" warning 

You are seeing this because we have images via the classifieds that are not encrypted because they are coming from Diamond Club Members and not me. Not to worry. No one here adding images to the classifieds are hackers! lol

If you want, you can get rid of that yellow triangle icon by going into your browser (firefox, chrome etc.,) and saying the site is okay.

I am still going to work on getting rid of that yellow triangle icon, just know that you are safe even though there is a warning message.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lora

• March 31, 2017 1:14 AM EDT

Firefox allowed me to override the security exception. I don't think any other browser will let you do that.

• March 31, 2017 9:11 AM EDT

Could not get to the site fro your email link. Had to put it into Chrome manually.

• March 31, 2017 10:39 AM EDT

I wasn't able to access TVV via Lora's email.  However, I had no trouble getting in through a notification email indicating a comment had been posted to one of my listings.

I did notice that my previous bookmark for TVV was showing the message that my connection was not private.  I deleted the old bookmark and added a new one when I entered the site from the member's email, and that works fine.

This post was edited by Carol at Pearl's Parlor at March 31, 2017 10:41 AM EDT
    • 191 posts
    March 31, 2017 11:22 AM EDT

I'm not exactly sure why, but when they switched it over to the certificate, it triggered a security alert on everyones browser. Folks are going to have to take care of that on their end. I'll send out another message.

• April 1, 2017 7:27 PM EDT

I'm not having a problem with security alerts, but I haven't gone into the classified ads yet... guess I'll find out when I do my next listing.

Carol, the reason you couldn't get in through Lora's email was that she gave the addy as thevintagevillage.COM and it's .NET. (Oops.) I went in through my bookmark and it redirected from http to htpps without triggering any alerts; the only hiccup was that it didn't remember my login and I had to look it up and reenter it.

• April 1, 2017 8:19 PM EDT

WOOPS! I just found another hiccup - SKYSA is missing. No chat, no share buttons, no nuttin.

• 191 posts
    April 1, 2017 10:25 PM EDT

It's the .com that has the skysa.

I was out all day but hopefully I can get someone on Sunday to fix this. They reset it and must not have connected the redirect to the .com name.

• 191 posts
    April 9, 2017 8:03 PM EDT

Are folks able to sign into the .com via firefox and chrome? I am able to get in with explorer.

Also, they switched the redirect to the wrong thing.... it was supposed to be the .com by default and if anyone typed in the .net ... it would be redirected here. Now it's the opposite!!!

And the skysa app is still out of commission. *sigh*

• April 9, 2017 9:14 PM EDT

I am using Google Chrome and was able to sign in with no problem.  I tried it both ways - .com and .net - and both worked.  When I typed in the address using .com, it redirected to .net.  When I typed in .net, it stayed as .net.

• 63 posts
    April 9, 2017 9:56 PM EDT

It signs in as .net whether I type in .net or .com  I also use Google Chrome.

The .net is showing that it is secured. 

This post was edited by CAROLINABLUELADY - ADMIN at April 9, 2017 9:57 PM EDT
    • 191 posts
    April 9, 2017 11:33 PM EDT
    Thanks for the info. I'm not getting any emails to my MSN email account that folks are locked out so at least theres THAT.... LOL.
  • April 23, 2017 7:08 PM EDT

I haven't visited for some time but have no problem at all getting into vv.net ....  I am using Firefox.

I have gotten security alerts in emails for some other sites but not VV.  It's just a matter of approving the certificate. 

Jane

• 191 posts
    May 3, 2017 7:58 PM EDT

After more issues the last few weeks, I think we finally have things set. We have our dot com url back!!!! 

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at May 3, 2017 7:59 PM EDT
    • 63 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:27 PM EDT

I was able to get into the .com site - no issues.  Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 191 posts
    May 4, 2017 9:43 AM EDT

I was so stressed out folks!!!! lol

I know that the industry is trying to make the web a safe place and I appreciate the fact that they are forcing folks to get this SSL certificate, but in our case it was a complicated issue because of the classifieds. It was also compounded by the fact that we have twourl's

We are back to the .com version. It scrubbed some of the custom design, our background page is now all white and the color of the banner is a little off, but none of that matters.

Again, when you come to the site you will still see the yellow triangle, but not to worry.

When they issue the certificate, any link or image (each image is just code) that can not be verified as coming from a safe source, creates the warning. In our case, because I know my sellers are not secretly computer hackers.... we can trust that our content is okay.

I am still checking to make sure there aren't any elements that didn't make it with the reboot of the site, if you see something that isn't working, let me know.

Thanks so much for your patience everyone!!!